Any product builder knows that customer feedback is essential to understanding your target audience and improving your products or services. However, managing that feedback can be a challenge, particularly when it comes to product backlog management. This is where having a solid understanding of managing your product backlog efficiently.
Today, we will discuss the basics of product backlog management, including what it is, how it works, and why it's important. We will also provide tips and best practices for managing your product backlog effectively, so you can make the most of customer feedback and deliver the right features and products on time.
What is Backlog Management
Backlog management is a crucial aspect of project and task management. In simple terms, a backlog is a list of tasks, features, or items that need to be completed or addressed in a project. It serves as a repository for all the work that is yet to be accomplished. Effective backlog management involves prioritizing, organizing, and continuously updating the backlog so that the most important tasks are addressed first.
The primary goal of backlog management is to provide clarity and visibility into the work that needs to be done, enabling teams to plan and execute their projects efficiently. By properly managing the backlog, teams can align their efforts with project goals, allocate resources effectively, and deliver high-quality results.
Key components of backlog management include:
- Backlog Prioritization: This involves determining the relative importance and urgency of tasks or items in the backlog. With prioritization, you make sure that the most valuable and time-sensitive work is completed first.
- User Story Refinement: User stories are used to describe the functionality or requirements from the perspective of the end-user. Refining user stories involves breaking them down into smaller, more manageable tasks and clarifying any ambiguities or uncertainties.
- Estimation: Estimating the effort required to complete each task or item in the backlog helps in resource allocation, scheduling, and setting realistic expectations.
- Continuous Review and Updates: Backlogs are not static; they evolve throughout the project lifecycle. It's important to continuously review and update the backlog to reflect changing priorities, new requirements, and lessons learned.
How to Select the Right Product Backlog Management Tool
Selecting the right product backlog management tool is crucial for any product team. Here are a few points to keep in mind when choosing a tool:
- Consider the size and needs of your team and company.
- Look for a tool that allows for easy collaboration and communication.
- Choose a tool that integrates with your existing tech stack.
- Consider the level of customization and flexibility the tool offers.
- Look for a tool with a user-friendly interface and intuitive navigation.
- Compare pricing and features of different tools to find the best fit for your budget and needs.
List of Top 10 Product Backlog Management Tools
We have carefully researched and selected the best Product Backlog Management tools to help you manage your product development process. Our list includes tools with features such as user story mapping, sprint planning, and collaboration capabilities. By using these tools, you can streamline your backlog, increase productivity, and deliver quality products to your customers. Stay tuned for our comprehensive list.
FeedBear: Your Essential Backlog Management Tool for Smart Product Development
Are you trying to find the best backlog management tool? Look no further than FeedBear – a modern and affordable solution designed to make it easy for the teams to handle their feedback and manage their backlog.
At FeedBear, we prioritize simplicity without compromising on power. We have created a tool that is not only intuitive and user-friendly but also packed with robust features. With our platform, your team can effortlessly stay organized, collaborate seamlessly, and keep your customers engaged throughout the development journey.
Our primary goal with FeedBear is to eliminate the steep learning curve associated with most alternative tools. Forget about spending days onboarding and setting up – with FeedBear, you'll be up and running in just a few minutes.
Here's How FeedBear Can Handle You Manage Your Backlog
- Easily create and manage a public or private product roadmap.
- Customize columns and statuses to effectively communicate your goals, while retaining complete control over the process.
- Keep track of planned, in-progress, and completed tasks, ensuring team alignment and enabling transparent progress updates for your customers.
Make use of the unlimited idea boards to gather feedback, ideas, feature requests, and even bug reports (some of which will later go to the backlog).
FeedBear serves as a centralized hub for both your team and customers to collaborate seamlessly. Allow comments and voting on ideas, choose between internal or public boards, and let the platform automatically suggest similar ideas to prevent duplication.
- Share your backlog, future ideas, roadmaps, and things that you're either working on or plan to work on with customers, and demonstrate that you actively listen to their feedback.
- Utilize comments and discussions to deeply understand the real problems and needs your customers have and build stronger relationships.
Changelog and Announcements
Keep your customers informed about new features and releases with our built-in changelog feature. Close the feedback loop by generating excitement and ensuring that new additions to your product don't go unnoticed.
Seamless Integration with Your Favorite Tools
We know you use different tools for your workflows. That's why we made it easy to connect FeedBear with popular platforms like Trello, Jira, Intercom, Slack, and Zapier through seamless integrations.
Simple and Customizable Design
With FeedBear, simplicity is key. Our customizable design lets you start easily, even with minimal experience. Share your backlog on your domain, website, or app, ensuring a seamless experience for your customers.
Affordable Pricing Plans
No more expensive pricing. FeedBear has straightforward plans for your whole team.
The Startup plan is $49/month for up to 3 members, and the Business plan is $99/month for unlimited members. Get great features, easy integrations, and excellent value.
- FeedBear enables users to add their ideas and lets others vote for the preferred ones, providing clarity on prioritization.
- It keeps customers informed about ongoing updates, fostering a community and building loyalty.
- Automatic status updates are sent as progress is made on the product or customer requests.
- The UI is user-friendly, ensuring accessibility for all team members.
- Users can provide feedback without requiring an email, minimizing barriers.
- FeedBear is intuitive, facilitating efficient feedback management and feature development.
To put it simply, FeedBear is a super easy tool for managing ideas and feedback. It helps you tidy up, arrange, and handle your product backlog effortlessly. Are you prepared to simplify your backlog management and make your product development more practical?
Sign up today and enjoy FeedBear right away! It's free for the first 14 days.
Monday is a team management tool that simplifies communication and enhances productivity. It has a user-friendly interface, customizable features, and a range of integrations that make it a good choice for teams of any size and industry. The best thing about Monday.com is its flexibility. It allows you to create your ideal workflow in minutes or choose from 200+ ready-made templates based on different use cases.
- Workload monitoring, management, and tracking.
- Easy communication, collaboration, and data visualization.
- People-centric design with user-friendly features.
- Visual board as the core of Monday.com Work OS.
- Multiple views: Kanban board, calendar, timeline, Gantt chart, and more.
- Project planning, task assignment, resource allocation, and progress tracking.
- Customizable dashboard for informed decision-making.
- Attractive, intuitive user interface.
- Enhanced work visualization and planning efficiency through various views.
Monday.com offers diverse pricing plans.
Individual plan: free, up to 2 members, 3 boards, unlimited docs, 20+ column types, 200+ templates, iOS/Android apps.
Basic plan: $8/seat/month (billed annually), includes Individual plan features, unlimited viewers, items, 5GB storage, prioritized support, and dashboard creation.
Standard plan: $10/seat/month (billed annually), a popular choice, includes Basic plan features, timeline/Gantt views, calendar view, guest access, automation, and more.
Asana is a well-known platform that helps teams manage different kinds of tasks. It has a user-friendly interface that is not overwhelming compared to other project management tools. Asana has various capabilities worth learning, allowing you to assign tasks to team members and keep track of their progress. It also integrates with other tools such as Slack and Google Drive. Asana has a range of features that include task, project, team, and workflow management.
- Project and task management: Asana offers tools to manage projects and tasks by creating lists or boards that detail all the initiatives, meetings, and programs involved in the project.
- Communication tools: Asana provides communication tools to stay connected with the team.
- Multiple ways to view work: Asana adapts to the workforce by offering views in a list, board, calendar, or timeline format.
- Management and reporting tools: Asana provides management and reporting tools to track team progress and identify areas for improvement.
- Easy app integration: Asana integrates with many other apps, including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Slack.
Asana offers 4 pricing tiers: Free plan, Premium, Business, and Enterprise.
Free plan for teams up to 15 users.
Premium: $10.99/user/month (billed annually) or $13.49/user/month (billed monthly).
Business: $24.99/user/month (billed annually) or $30.49/user/month (billed monthly).
Productboard is a platform that helps your entire organization align with your product roadmap. It generates customizable roadmaps that convey strategies and drive results. It acts as a shared point of reference, outlining the vision, direction, priorities, and progress of a product over time.
- Build roadmaps that are always up-to-date and easy to share to keep teams organized and focused on building the right product features.
- Prioritize features based on user insights and company priorities to ensure that teams are building the right product features.
- Centralize customer feedback in one place to help teams stay connected to their customers and build products that meet their needs.
- Validate ideas with user feedback and data to help teams stay informed and make data-driven decisions about their product.
Productboard provides four pricing plans including Essentials, Pro, Scale, and Enterprise.
- The Essentials plan is billed annually at $20/month/maker.
- The Pro plan is also billed annually at $80/month/maker.
- The Scale plan has custom pricing, and the Enterprise plan also has custom pricing.
ClickUp is a user-friendly project management tool with various features for managing tasks, projects, teams, and workflows. Its interface is simple and visually appealing, ensuring ease of use. ClickUp integrates with popular tools like Slack, Trello, and Google Drive, boosting productivity.
- Create custom views for tasks, projects, and teams.
- Customize views to suit your needs and share them with anyone.
- Add resources like conversations, docs, and mind maps to tasks and projects.
- Work on resources without leaving ClickUp.
- Integrate with over 1,000 tools to keep all your tools in one place.
- Collaborate easily with task assignments, due dates, and team communication.
- Choose from 15+ views including lists, Kanban boards, calendars, and timelines.
- Get a bird’s-eye view of tasks and projects with customizable dashboards.
- Add various lists, documents, and embeds as widgets to one page.
PricingClickUp has three pricing plans: Free, Unlimited, and Business.
The Unlimited plan costs $9/month per user or $5/month per user with an annual subscription ($60 total).
The Business plan starts at $15/month per user if paid monthly or $9/month per user if paid annually ($108 total).
The Free plan offers unlimited tasks, lists, projects, and members, with 100MB of storage. The Unlimited plan includes everything from the Free plan, along with unlimited storage, goals, portfolios, custom fields, and more. The Business plan encompasses all features of the Unlimited plan and adds advanced capabilities like custom exporting, custom permissions, and time tracking.
Jira, created by Atlassian in 2002, is a software for tracking issues and managing agile projects. It helps teams prioritize and organize tasks, bugs, and other issues in one place. Software development teams widely use Jira to plan, track, and release their projects.
- JIRA Software provides agile boards to manage complex projects in manageable pieces of work for faster delivery.
- Supports any agile project management methodology for software development.
- Provides best-of-breed features, security, privacy, and tools for every step of your journey.
- JIRA Software Premium allows scaling across teams.
- Free forever for teams up to 10.
- Customizable workflows for effective work management.
- Advanced reporting for progress tracking and identifying areas for improvement.
- Integrates with other tools such as Confluence, Bitbucket, and Bamboo.
- Mobile app for managing work on the go.
JIRA has a pricing structure that is based on the number of team members you add to the platform. For Jira Core, the cost starts at $5 per user per month when billed monthly, and $500 per year when billed annually.
For Jira Cloud, the cost starts at $7.75 per user per month on a monthly rolling plan, and there is also a free tier available. If you choose to upgrade, there are Premium and Enterprise plans available at $15.25 per user per month or quoted on request, respectively.
Finally, Jira Data Center has a starting price of $42,000 per year and can only be paid on an annual subscription.
Craft.io is a product management platform with various roadmap formats available and can be tailored to specific audiences. It includes a useful product backlog management tool designed to help product managers communicate plans and make better decisions.
- Strategy: Helps teams define their product vision and goals, and align product strategy with business goals and customer needs.
- Feedback: Allows teams to collect and manage feedback from customers and stakeholders, and prioritize and categorize feedback.
- Feature Definition: Helps teams define and manage product features, create feature cards, define feature requirements, and manage feature status.
- Prioritization: Helps teams prioritize features based on business value and customer needs, and score features based on their business value and customer impact.
- Capacity Planning: Helps teams manage resources and plan sprints, estimate feature effort, plan sprints, and manage team capacity.
- Roadmap: Helps teams visualize their product roadmap and communicate it to stakeholders, create a product roadmap, define roadmap items, and share the roadmap with stakeholders.
- Execution: Helps teams manage the development process and track progress, create tasks, track progress, and manage releases.
Craft.io provides three pricing plans: Essential, Pro, and Enterprise.
The Essential plan is available at $39/user/month when billed annually and $49/user/month when billed monthly.
The Pro plan is priced at $69/user/month when billed annually and $89/user/month when billed monthly.
The Enterprise plan's pricing is customized and offers supplementary features such as custom integrations, dedicated support, and more. For further details, check their website.
nTask is a project management software that makes team collaboration, planning, analysis, and task management easy. This all-in-one solution allows you to handle tasks, projects, issues, risks, meetings, and time tracking in one centralized platform.
- Create and assign tasks to team members with due dates and progress tracking.
- Create projects, add tasks, assign team members, and track progress.
- Create issues, assign team members, track progress, and resolve issues.
- Identify risks, create risk management plans, assign team members, and track progress.
- Schedule meetings, invite team members, and add agendas, minutes, and action items.
- Track time spent on tasks and projects, and generate reports for billing or payroll purposes.
- Visualize project timelines with Gantt charts, track progress, and identify dependencies.
- View tasks, projects, meetings, and deadlines in a calendar view.
- Create checklists for tasks or projects, assign team members, and track progress.
- Add team members and assign roles and permissions for team management.
- Share files with team members and clients for file sharing.
- Create invoices for clients based on time spent on tasks and projects for invoicing.
- Set budgets for projects and track expenses for budgeting.
- Integrate with other tools such as Slack, Zapier, and Google Drive for integrations.
The Free Plan is available for $0/month and includes tasks, projects, issues, and risks.
The Pro Plan is available for $2.99/user/month and includes all features of the Free Plan plus time tracking, Gantt charts, meeting management, and calendar view.
The Business Plan is available for $7.99/user/month and includes all features of the Pro Plan plus team management, invoicing, and budgeting.
Yodiz is an online agile project management software that supports teams in managing their projects with ease. It offers product backlog management, Kanban/ScrumBan/Scrum management, bug tracking, team discussions, and software configuration management integrations.
- Product Backlog Management: Easily create and manage product backlogs. Prioritize items and track progress.
- Kanban/ScrumBan/Scrum Management: Visualize workflows with Kanban boards. Manage sprints and releases with Scrum.
- Bug Tracking: Create and track bugs. Assign team members and track progress.
- Team Discussions: Communicate with team members through discussion boards.
- Software Configuration Management Integrations: Seamlessly integrate with other tools such as GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitLab.
Yodiz has four pricing plans: Free, Startup, Business, and Enterprise.
The Free plan is available at no cost and provides basic features such as tasks, issues, and backlogs.
The Startup plan is priced at $5/month/user (billed annually) or $7/month/user (billed monthly) and includes all the features of the Free plan, plus additional features such as time tracking, sprints, and more. There is also a 14-day free trial available for this plan.
The Business plan is priced at $9/month/user (billed annually) or $12/month/user (billed monthly) and includes all the features of the Startup plan, plus custom fields, integrations, and more.
The Enterprise plan offers custom pricing that is available upon request.
Hygger is an online tool for product backlog management that incorporates agile project management practices for software and product development. It emphasizes visibility, adaptability, and product value. Hygger's features include Kanban boards, sprint planning, progress tracking, collaboration tools, and insightful reporting.
- Create and manage product roadmaps.
- Prioritize features and track progress.
- Visualize workflows with Kanban boards.
- Manage tasks and projects.
- Plan and manage sprints.
- Assign team members and track progress.
- Create and manage backlogs.
- Prioritize items and track progress.
- Track time spent on tasks and projects.
- Generate reports for billing or payroll purposes.
- Generate reports on team performance, project progress, and more.
- Integrate with other tools such as Slack, GitHub, and Jira.
Hygger has four pricing plans available to its users, including Free, Standard, Enterprise, and Custom.
The Free plan is offered to users at no cost, and it includes basic features such as unlimited boards, swimlanes, and tasks.
The Standard plan is available for $9 per month per user if billed annually, or $12 per month per user if billed monthly. This plan includes all the features offered in the Free plan, but it also includes time tracking, sprints, and more. Users can try this plan for free for 14 days before committing.
The Enterprise plan is available for $18 per month per user if billed annually, or $24 per month per user if billed monthly. This plan includes all the features offered in the Standard plan, but it also includes custom fields, integrations, and more. Users can try this plan for free for 14 days before committing.
After exploring various feedback tools, FeedBear stands out as a great option for product backlog management. Its built-in changelog is a standout feature that allows you to keep track of all the changes made to your product. Additionally, FeedBear offers a centralized idea board and a customizable public roadmap, making it easy to collaborate with your customers and prioritize the right features.
With its clean, modern design and affordable price, FeedBear is a great choice for startups and small businesses looking to streamline their product development process. While it may not be the best option for larger companies with more complex needs, it offers a great balance of functionality and affordability for those just starting.
- FeedBear offers a centralized idea board and customizable public roadmap
- Built-in changelog allows you to keep track of all product changes
- Clean, modern design and affordable price make it a great choice for startups and small businesses
If you're looking for a simple and affordable way to collaborate with your customers and build the right features, FeedBear is worth considering. Sign up for free for a 14 days demo!